Don't tell you about payments

Well I tried to prolong my payment because I didn't have the funds in the account ... Now I gotta pay the overdraft fee ... I called them the day before my payment .... What the *** u guys open for when u can't stop a payment .. People money don't grow on trees we live paycheck to paycheck ... Next time tell your customers they send out the bill three days before it's due if u get it takin out of ur account .. I am really pissed cuz y'all can't do nothin about it so now my husband and I have to pay the fee when we are barely afloat ... But y'all don't tell us that rite n y'all don't care cuz u get ur paycheck
New York, New York

Worst customer service I have ever had to deal with

I had been with GEICO for a while and I was making some changes to my policy including disabling the automatic payments. Suddenly GEICO decides to contact me after that to say that they now require me to pay 30 days in advance. I tried to find out why they were requiring this, but on the phone they would not tell me anything and by email they just kept repeating the same unhelpful statement over and over again. To this day I still have no idea why they wanted to charge me 30 days in advance like that and I can show that no other insurance company does that. Anyways every time I emailed them they tried to call me afterward, but as I work third shift it was always while I was sleeping. I repeatedly asked that they call me during the hours I was awake and sure enough I just got a copied and pasted reply followed by a phone call when I was sleeping. When I told them that I was canceling they insisted that they needed to talk to me on the phone, but continued to call me when I was asleep. They also tried to tell me that I needed to compare exactly the same coverage to verify that my new policy really was cheaper, and they tried to tell me that the companies might run my credit after and suddenly raise my rates which I know to be a lie as the insurance companies run the credit report as soon as you ask for the quote.
Bellevue, Washington

Working for me, or against me?

On 11/15/2013 my vehicle was in an accident. The driver of the other vehicle involved in the accident was not paying attention and hit me in the passenger side, back of the vehicle hard enough to knock out the back window, smash the rear axle, hubcap, and cause body damage. When I contacted my insurance adjuster, I described the accident, took my vehicle to the body shop of your choosing, which happened to have a Geico agent working there, and was told that I was not at fault. After further conversations with my adjuster and his supervisor, I was told that the other driver did not have any insurance,nor was the vehicle insured, and they proceeded to pay me out. Three weeks later, my adjuster contacted me and told me the uninsured driver had all of a sudden found 2 witnesses that said I stopped in front of her, and that is why she hit me, they said I was at fault, and they were going to pay 80% of her medical bills. Also, I have been dropped as of 02/05/2014, and the accident is on my record, which is causing me difficulties in getting insurance with any other insurance carrier, or to gain any kind of employmeny in my field of work.

Wow my husband and I were in a hit and run while sitting in a left turning lane and they have put us through the ringer. We have been bullied because we did not get the license plate while the car was tearing down the street.

our previous car was in an accident a few months ago and they act as if we planned the accidents. Yet, they still receive our payments for full coverage while they practically accuse us of scamming.

our left rear door is mashed in. thank God it wasn't the drivers door.

Where were these witness at the time of the accident Or are they friends of the person on the other car? Something's not right here

@PissedConsumer763171

no one got out of their cars we were able to drive into a parking lot. When we filed the report the police said there were no reports.

There were people all over but no one to say what happened.

I understand that we don't have much to go on. I would rather them say that they can't guarantee payout rather than talk down to us.

@Dhalia Fkb

if it isn't cut and dry then they work against you. they believe anything negative

The major thing here is did you call the cops at the time of the accident? If they were called and arrived on the accident scene, they would have wrote up a report.

That report would have the details of the accident in it. Weren't you employed at the time of the accident?

And if you can't find employment in your field, take a different job. A lot of people are having a hard time finding employment in their chosen field and have to settle for something else and it isn't because of an accident.

@PissedConsumer763009

we are both employed and would rather fix our own car than go through this demeaning process. but, that would leave us without insurance

View more comments (5)
Bellevue, Washington

Scared of GEICO after being threatened

Update by user Dec 21, 2013

GEICO DOES suck. I wholeheartedly agree.

my story is different than yours, but still needs to be told. i was seeing rate hikes at the end of every policy. after a while, i had enough of it and started looking elsewhere.

i called my agent and said "listen, autoinsuranceape.com is offering me rates at nearly $200 less for a 6 month policy, either you lower my rates, or i'm gone"

long story short, they threatened to sue me if I cancelled my policy. wtf? i assumed they would just match the competition like a good company.

c'mon GEICO!!!

Original review posted by user Dec 18, 2013
I've been a customer of GEICO for like 3 years, so I never expected to be treated this way. Whatever happened to the old adage "the customer is always right?" Anyways, I've been thinking about switching auto insurers for a while now do to rate hikes. My premiums kept going up, so I called a GEICO agent up to complain. after telling him that I got cheaper rates (nearly twice as cheap) from 4autoinsurancequote.com and said I was thinking about leaving GEICO, the agent THREATENED TO SUE ME if I cancelled my GEICO policy. wtf? is that anyway to treat your loyal customers? needless to say, I cancelled my policy the next day

When I looked for auto insurance quotes from GEICO, i found better ones from cure.com. Hey geico, learn from cure!

Ask the agent to put the threat into writing and send it to you.

ID

GEICO do not care about their customers

i have geico over a year, never had any problems until i moved, they were requesting for a lot information even when i was a great customer, anyways they gve a time line of 15 days, i called them and said i need it some more time, they said is ok no problem, well guess what it was a problem, they send me a leeter saying my policy will be canceled, i called back and they said probably was a mistake, i said ok and i send all the info in about 20 days, in months from there i called agian and they said they never receive any information, wow, why they never called me, well i send again, in nov 4 and then in dec 10, today i called agian and they said they never had any info and seems like they dont care, i was so mad be cuase they said at this point the policy cant be review, also some lady crash my car dunring this period and they dint want to pay be cause was out the deductible range, they want me to pay out of pocket when was not my fault, after fights and complaints they decide to deal with the other insurance who was geico as well and they send a check, what they suppose to do in first place, every time i was calling they just transfer and trnasfer with no help, that says a lot about them, why do think they have a pig, be cause they are dirty and liars, now i jsut have a new policy with progressive, they gave a great price, and easy to deal with, i hate geico for all the waste of itme and poor customer service, DO NOT USE GEICO>
Miami Beach, Florida
Geico Customer Care

Been with GEICO 8 years !!!!

Beware of GEICO !!!!!!!!!!! This past year has been terrible being with GEICO, terrible customer service AND after being with them over 8 years they have raised my rates the last (2) renewals. For no reason, I have no claims, no tickets & no accidents. I am switching to another insurance company. After a little research I found what GEICO stands for "Government Employee Insurance Company" so Im sure GEICO is ran just like our US government. The little lizard is equal too a political TV add we get use to seeing during election time. Hope this helps and look out for them.
Little Rock, Arkansas

Cancellation

on 11-12 2013 I talk to a geico rep. about reinstatement...first of all I've been with geico over 10 yrs and I call for and extension which they would only allow me a 2day extension my policy cancelled 12mn and I paid it the next day at 1pm (some loyalty).when I paid my balance of 83.60 it was taken from a debit card I had on file, next I had 2 pay a month installment the rep Charlene Stewart use an old bank account I had not used with geico in over a year 2 post my payment instead of using the debit card I had on file needlessly 2 say it didn't go through after i was inform the payment of the monthly policy went through so naturally I thought the rep. used the card on file. I did not know this rep. used a bank account that was taken off file. How did she get it? My question exactly........If one rep took out the first payment with the correct account and it went through why would another rep use a different account? This 2 me is pay back behavior perhaps because I was upset about the situation from the start.When I call 2 speak with the supervisor I was told there was no way she could have gotten my old account information OK, but it happen.So now all I get is excuses of how this could not happened well *** can one rep. use the correct info. and the other incorrect info. on the same day...................This could not happen I didn't give it to her so how did Ms. Charleen Stewart do it only she knows.......
Augusta, Georgia

Failure to take responsibility

GEICO - Failure to take responsibility
How can GEICO justify a 20% responsibility settlement for a rear end collision when there were independent witnesses that the GEICO Claims Department claim never returned their calls; however, when I contacted them, they advised they had never been contacted by GEICO. Without obtaining independent witness information, how can the Claims Department possibly take any determination? Apparently, you need to hire Legal Counsel to obtain compliance with the law. This unfortunately is costly unless you suffer a serious injury that the Attorney can make real money on. Just part of the PC socialist system where no one will take responsibility as there are no Winners just all Losers. ABSOLUTELY NO CREDABILITY!!!

This insurance company should be put out of business and investigated by the department of insurance and consumer affairs. I believe that GEICO pays their representatives to be reckless and operate bordering illegality.

GEICO government employees insurance corporation, you have lost a loyal customer. I have been with your company more than 10 years.

it's time to move on.

whoever has the best commercials must be the winner. I'm calling Flo for All State for obvious reasons.

Featured
Albuquerque, New Mexico

We cancelled our policy within 48 hrs of purchasing

We purchased a commercial policy and had to cancel within 48 hrs due to coverage they could not provide. We paid a $1600 downpayment. They told us the could not refund to our credit card. No check came..I called and they credited our card $695!!!! For 48 hours!! They say in the state of FL they have to keep 10% of the yearly premium. That was not told to us when we purchased the policy. So they lied about that and like that they could not credit our card back. I believe they are lying about why they can keep so much!!

I am almost certain that the universal rules/law is that any services bought can be cancelled within 3 days and all monies rendered are to be returned in full. As for Geico themselves: STAY AWAY FROM GEICO!

They do, in fact, lie out their ***! They told me that they are raising my bill because my state has demanded that they do so and also told me that they cannot , under any circumstances lower my bill. Most other insurance cos will lower your bill the longer you stay with them and are free of claims and tickets.

15 yrs w/geico and all they do is raise my bill every year then tell me to lower it I should pay them for other courses but the cost of the courses are more than what the lowered bill will be. Geico is one of the worst as far as in house policy and practices.

Cleveland, Ohio
Loss

Reported a claim and they raise your rates

In the old days you did not dare report an accident to your insurance company in fear of your rates being raised. Today most companies do not use that practice, unless you have many claims in a given time, not Geico! I have been insured with Geico for five years with no claims and no tickets, had minor claim and my rates went up about 30% a month, aproxmently $300 a year. So you only save money with Geico if you don't use them for their intended purpose! They are great to deal with and I have had great service in time of need, however why have insurance if you live in fear of needing to use it because they will charge you more money! What happened to the idea of charging for excessive use not one time use!

Your story is very vague. You said you had a "minor" accident, yet you don't say how much money GEICO paid out for your claim.

ALL insurance company will raise your rates by about 30% once they pay out over a certain amount of money for property damage when YOU are at fault.

The usual standard amounts that are paid out that will raise your insurance premium are $1000.00 or $1500.00. (I'm not sure which one it is or if it varies from state to state.)

Loss

Geico not in a hurry to help their customers

I have been with Geico for years and just recently was hit in the parking lot of Albertsons. When I called to report the accident I was told that I could call the other man's insurance company (Liberty Mutual) and have them take care of my claim or pay the $500 deductible and have Geico repair my car and possible get my $500 back from liberty Mutual, but there is no guarantee. I decided to try and avoid the $500 expense by calling and making a claim with Liberty Mutual. After two-week wait and a drive to their auto body repair partner an agent named Brent called and said the accident was in no way my fault, however, they wanted me to accept 25% responsibility for the accident, because I did not beep my horn and alert the other driver. I refused to accept this and called Geico, after waiting through the recorded messages again. I explained the situation and requested their help to get my car fixed. They connected me with an adjuster in Arizona and I had to repeat my story to yet another Geico agent, she stated she would investigate and get back to me. Another week goes by and I have not heard a word from Geico, so I call and wait through the recorded messages again. After a long process I am told that the agent I need to speak to is working with another client, so I ask her assistant if it is possible to update me on my claim. She tells me I need to go to the Geico repair center for an estimate. Ok, not problem, why didn't they call me to tell me this. I schedule an appoint and leave my car for an estimate. The Geico repair agent calls and tells me it will take some time to determine the estimate. Five days later I find out the car will be repair and available for pick up in another 8 days, also they will not go after Liberty Mutual until after my car is fix and this process can take as long as 2 - 3 months. It has now been over 5 weeks and I have no car and virtual no hope of getting Geico to speed things up or get things resolved. I have had to inconvenience family and friends to drive me to work and shopping, while Geico doesn't even have the courtesy to call and update me on my claim.

I read Larry's comment and basically agree, however what most consumers don't understand is that contributory or comparative negligence is the law in most states and doesn't apply to only insurance company claims. So had your accident been against an individual with no insurance, then in theory a court or arbitrator very well could have come to a similar conclusion.

We all like to rag on insurance companies, but the fact is that most traffic safety experts will tell you that most accidents can be avoided through defensive driving. :)

My analysis of your accident can only be based on the limited info in your story. I must assume that your were coming down the parking lot roadway and the other driver was backing out of a spot. If this is the case and YOU told Liberty Mutual insurance company that you DID see him backing out of the spot and you ADMITTED that you did NOT blow your horn or stop and let him back out, then Liberty Mutual IS CORRECT by stating you ARE responsible for PART of the accident because of what they call "contributory negligence." Your actions (or inaction) contributed to this accident. They feel, that as a defensive driver, YOU should have either stopped or blown your horn to warn the other driver you were there and thereby (totally) avoid the accident. Brent did not witness the accident, and he does not work for Liberty Mutual, and therefore his opinion does not count. Remember, Liberty Mutual is NOT your company and NOT your friend and wants to pay you as little money as possible. Again, this is just my opinion based on your story.

Insurance companies will charge you with partial fault ANYTIME you make a statement that proves YOU could have avoided the accident by being a defensive driver and letting the other guy go even though you have the right of way.

You must be careful with what you say AND what you write when dealing with ANY insurance company. Insurance companies will look to put some or all of the blame of an accident on you when they can to save money.

Part TWO- YOU decided to go direct to Liberty Mutual and THEY wasted two weeks before you started a claim with GEICO, yet I don't see you complaining of waiting those two weeks. You should have went direct to GECIO, and laid out the $500.00. deductible. GEICO is your company and on your side. GEICO will sue L.M. and get the ENTIRE claim back from them including your $500.00 deductible collision, providing you are NOT at fault & didn't admit to making an admission of some type of negligence on your part.

Again, the GEICO employee made the SUGGESTION, but YOU made the final decision. You say it's been about 5 weeks since the accident, but two weeks of that time was spent with you dealing with Liberty Mutual. You didn't complain in this report that Liberty Mutual made you wait two weeks before you saw an adjuster, but now you do complaing about GEICO making you wait, which you have a right to do, BUT you were the one who opened the can of worms by going through L.M. first to "save" a few bucks that would have been fully returned to you in a few months. After a weeks of investigating, GEICO saw your vehicle 5 days later. The 8 day repair time is apparently the time the repair shop needs to fix your vehicle. Five plus eight equals 13 days, the same amount of time YOU WASTED with Liberty Mutual. Apparently, you could have had your vehicle back on the road and repaired in under two weeks if you had dealt with GEICO from the beginning.

I am also a GEICO policy holder and have been for over 25 years. I have submitted claims over that time, and never had any problems.

One last fact I don't understand. You wrote that you DROVE to the Liberty Mutual claim center two weeks later to have your car inspected, and you also drove it to the GEICO claims center, yet in your last sentence you give me the impression that your vehicle is NOT driveable because people have to drive you around. Just wondering why are they driving you around if you can drive to two claim centers? *** Luck.

ID
#451989 Review #451989 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Melba, Idaho
Geico Auto Insurance
$2000

GEICO refuses to accept responsibility for a rear end!!!
I was driving west bound in Chicago when I was struck from a careless driver who seems to have lost control of his motorcycle. He struck my vehicle from the rear driver side. I asked if he was ok and we both exchanged information. I went straight to the police...

GEICO like all insurance companies are not in business to pay claims.They are in business to make money and paying claims that can be avoided is not what they do. They really are not there to protect you or help you if they can avoid it .

At best any relationship with an insurance company is adversarial in nature .

Fortunately, a majority of legitamate claims are paid . If for some reason they get the idea that a claim is suspicious all bet are off .

View more comments
Featured
Chicago, Illinois
Loss

Geico they will slander you

I just had this happen and wrote this email today to/with Geico. I saw the claim person today, I understand that insurance companies have to deal with a lot of fraudulent claims. And in my circumstance I understand I forgot to include a major detail that happened after the first accident. Because not only was there a lot of things going through my mind to keep me from thinking properly, but I just wanted to get my vehicle off the road before it got hit again. But I found it abso---------lutely offensive when I was told, that the claim person felt I made up a hit and run story to claim hit and run. Had he talked to my manager, my manager would have confirmed after the accident happened I told him I only had liability and was going to have to repair the damages myself, even if I had full coverage I don't trust you or any other insurance company to take care of any of your drivers. I know you people have not received any messages from me about payout or vehicle repair, because after I was even called by Geico and informed that the other thing I had on my insurance covered hit and run, I knew since I forgot to inform the police about it I was going to have to pay for it own of my own pocket still, and I HAD NO --- ---- PROBLEM WITH THAT until this ------------- basically said I was lying. Is this what I should expect? Do the right thing, report the accident, get ------ up in a another accident and be told, your a liar, the second accident was bull---- and never happened? I don't know what part about "I didn't file the claim right away, instead I got online to find out how much it was going to cost ME to repair this vehicle, since I thought I was only paying for liability" he did not understand. I have never been so utterly ------- insulted in my life. ---- YOU VERY MUCH GEICO. SINCERELY,

get your head clear and then think about what you are doing superstar....ur lucky you did not hurt someone.......you wont walk away from vehicluar manslaughter.....

@gerald claude

I was mostly in just disbelief of everything that had happened. Things like, 5 feet less I wouldn't have hit the rail and ended up in the creek, how did this person not see me with his sight distance, how did I not get hurt I was only halfway inside my vehicle when I got hit, how did I not get knocked over the rail, why does this cop look like he doesn't even want to be out here, can I straighten this hood or am I going to have to replace it, did all this really just happen?, etc., etc., etc...all sorts of drama and personal questions. That's not even the order in which the thoughts and questions were popping in, it felt like every thought was just random and had nothing to do with the previous thought.

@Keyon Rwc

I guess the easiest way to describe it, after I got hit and run...mental chaos.

I say "7"'d because it was at an offset "T" angle

You think it's hard to believe? I was the one it happened to and I can't believe, someone can drive about 500 feet at 6 P.M., FULL DAYLIGHT, with the sight advantage of GOING DOWN THE HILL (I was at bottom), and not see my car in the right lane "7"'d (two lane, one way) into the guardrail.

I too find your story very hard to believe. Sounds like fraud to me.

so let me get this straight.....you had an accident.....did not notify the police (to document said accident)...cause you got so much going on to think properly....forgetting major details etc etc...dude your story is so full of holes and BS.....no wonder the insurance company said no......your insulted because you got caught in a lie.....

@gerald claude

Uh no, had a minor accident, called the police, as soon as I get off phone with 911, another car hits and runs me. Police show up, I have adrenaline running, still trying to figure out WTF just completely happened.

Forgot to tell police about hit and run, they were there for only about 5 minutes, asked 2 questions, how did you hit the guard rail and do you have your license. The problem is this, I had no problem paying for the damage to the car MYSELF, I thought I only had liability at the time. So after I file the claim I get a phone call from Geico explaining my policy. And even then I wasn't trying to anything from them I am a mechanic I know how much it's going to cost to repair my vehicle.

But this retarded adjuster comes to my workplace sees the damage to the rear of my vehicle knowing the front of the vehicle was what got hit in the first accident.

With even pieces of the other vehicles headlamp assembly in the street says, because I forgot to report it at that moment it never happened.

@Keyon Rwc

I had no problems with any way the insurance would have handled it. I was insulted by what their adjuster said to me.

View more comments (8)
Geico Claim

Geico unprofessional stuck with a rental charge due to geico delay

I'm frustrated how geico delayed the process of my claim . It took them 25 days to go see my car. The adjuster went on vacation w/o having someone to go see my car. Now I'm stuck with a car rental bill of 1200.00. They advised me that they only could pay for 30 days. But I got with 54 days of charges of taxes and fees. Being my first accident and being a member for over 20 years this is the way i get treated. Geico is the worst company. Can anyone help me please..please help stop Geico scam

Read your policy

Newark, New Jersey

INSURANCE JUMPS FOR NOT AT FAULT ACCIDENTS

Worst Service. Worst Rates. I have been a loyal Geico member for years. I have never had a problem with them until I get my recent bill in the mail and I find out that my "activity" on my account has caused my bill to go up to almost $800. I call to ask what is going...

Having worked in insurance for nearly 10 years, I can tell you that not at fault accidents can affect your 6 or 12 month rate. Even though an accident may be considered not at fault, if it exceeds the state threshold, then it can cause surcharge points on insurance.

Also, all accidents are typically factored into the overall underwriting of a policy. Therefore, even if a not at fault accident happens, the damage amount from it may cause your policy to go up in rates due to being considered a higher risk.

It's not just a Geico practice.

It's the same way with many of the major companies, regardless of who you choose. I know it's not something you may want to hear, but having been in the industry, I'd rather tell you what really happens.

Geico Auto Insurance