774 views
Verified Reviewer

I was in a recent accident; I reported my claim to the insurance company GEICO Indemnity. I was told my claim was denied because I needed a car inspection because I was a new client.

I am not new business and have had a policy with the company for several years. I only left the company for 3 months due to underemployment and could no longer maintain the car insurance and elected for another coverage with another company but was back with GEICO because they offered better rates. Instead of restarting the old policy (which should have been done because I came back within the 6 months time period) I was placed in a new one, which was started on April 10, 2013, and it was not comparable to my previous policy. Subsequently I was in a car accident May 15, 2013.

GEICO stated that Florida Statute section 627.744 was there reasoning why my claim was denied. On further study of this Florida Statue I do not fall within these guidelines because the same automobile was insured with GEICO and I was a customer for a period of 3 1/2 years. I was not informed and believe I was dealt unfairly and GEICO has demonstrated bad faith in regards to my claim and handling of my grievances.

I was told that my denied claim cannot be overturned and I have no other option but fix the car out of my own pocket. I was never informed of gravity of the situation until I was wrongfully dismissed of my collision and comprehensive coverage even though I never had to submit this documents in the entire time of was a policyholder.

Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Comments

When you let a policy lapse, you are no longer an existing customer. You are a new customer with a new policy.

Most companies will require you get a new photo inspection when this happens. You didn't get it done, which is why the full coverage was stripped and then why the claim was denied.

You were not treated unfairly at all. They are just following state regulations.

Besides, you would have received multiple notifications by mail and would have been notified at the time of buying your new policy. If you had taken the 10 minutes to get a photo inspection, you would not have run into this issue with the claim being denied.

And with keeping in tune with the previous comment I am sure you didn't complain or say anything about the payments going down when the coverage was stripped off of the policy. Not a smart customer. Next

You showed bad faith by allowing your policy to lapse. Of course they would require an inspection since you were uninsured for more than 30 days to prevent you trying to claim anything that may have happened during your lapse.

GEICO Reviews