I have been a GEICO auto policy customer for over 22 years. During that time I have had only one claim in 1999.

So when I bought a 1990's Ranger Bass Boat and needed insurance staying with the same company seemed logical.

I purchased a policy but felt the premium seemed high for an 18' boat that was over 20 years old. Since it was the first boat policy and the agent said it was their best price I paid for it and thought I would shop around later since the policy was for 6 months.

When it was time to renew the policy I contacted GEICO to review the high cost of the policy and increase with renewal. After a careful review it was discovered they were charging me for a newer model 29' boat with a premium that was twice as high as the premium for my boat.

I insisted on a refund of the difference between the premium I paid for the 29' boat and the amount I should have paid for my boat.

The agent said I was only entitled to a partial refund because they had insured me for the more expense boat so they were only willing to give me a 50% refund. I was livid and tried to get the full refund but the bottom line was they already had my money and it would have cost me more in time and money to be successful.

I decided to share my experience with as many people as possible so hopefully others won't get ripped off.

User's recommendation: Stay away from GEICO. There are better companies.

Location: Shingletown, California