15.7K views

I had Geico auto insurance for several years. I always paid on time if not early, and had not one claim with them. Throughout the years, they would raise my premium little by little, but it was usually only a couple of dollars, so I never really worried about it. This last time, they jacked my premium up quite a bit. My premium started off at around $100 a month and is now at $110 before the new rate increase. With the new rate increase, it would be $126 a month. I called to find out why and was told that Geico re-evaluates each state from time to time and based on accidents and payout, premiums change.

So basically you get punished for other people's mistakes.

I asked Geico to keep my premium at what I was currently paying ($110) and they refused, saying it was illegal because they were regulated by the state, and that the new higher premium was the best rate they could offer me at the time. They wasted my time by going over all of my policy details and assured me that no one else would give me so much great coverage for a lower price. They also constantly reassured me that customer service was their number one priority.

I hung up and did quote comparisons with other insurance companies. I got quotes from two different agencies that matched my coverage and were significantly cheaper. I called Geico back and asked again why my premium was going up when I had done nothing to deserve it, and again, I got the same spiel. I informed the agent of my two different quotes, and said that I didn't even want him to match the significantly cheaper insurance rates, I only wanted to keep my premium at what I was already paying. They STILL refused. I asked to speak to a supervisor. She was not as polite, and interrupted me a lot. She kept going on and on about how customer satisfaction was very important to Geico, yet she refused to alter my premium in any way. I told her I would cancel my policy. She kept saying she would hate to see me go, but she still would not alter my policy.

I do not believe for one second that Geico is unable to match prices or lower policy premiums when requested. These companies thrive on customers, and with no price matching, there is little to no incentive to keep customers when a cheaper (and better) insurance company is competing for their business. If Geico really does function this way, it's pathetic, and extremely poor customer service.

I switched today and when I called to cancel, the agent made no attempt to try and keep my business, which other insurance companies have done in the past when I canceled them.

I'm glad I decided to switch to a better company with competitive rates instead of staying with a company with a "love it or leave it" attitude.

Product or Service Mentioned: Geico Auto Insurance.

Comments

I called geico to ask about the recent increase in premiums and they gave me the same spiel, calling around for comparisons with a policy match.

#1620718

I had the same experience. Geico raised my premiums for no reason at all. I moved to another insurance company

#1620246

Yes...After reading similar reviews, I've concluded that Geico's 200% auto policy surcharge is apparently nationwide to replenish profits lost from natural disasters. I always believed that all rates/premiums were based upon an insured's claim history.

NOT SINCE THE GULF WAR!!! Though it ought to be against U.S. law to charge everyone, those with or without a claims history, equally, negates the insureds ability to get a competitive premium for good history, paying on time, etc. - thus making you and me "a nation for the insurance corporation, for the insurance corporation, and by the insurance corporation".

We are no longer a democracy. Sad but true!

GEICO did the same with us as well. I been with GEICO for ten years.

I also have my home insurance with them, but suddenly for being a very good driver with no bad records they have increased my premium quite high.

Their customer service is the worst you can imagine. I am still looking for better deal in the market and will leave them soon.

to Anonymous #1620253

DON'T get Geico homeowner. There is no real discount in "the bundling baloney"...in my opinion.

Also noteworthy, GEICO "partners with" and only insures you, the homeowner, through Travelers or another large underwriter, people! If you went to the "partner" directly, you might get a better rate. Anytime an underwriter is used, you are paying for it. Conversely, if THE UNDERWRITER is discounting it's product because of their affiliation with Geico, they are overcharging the customer who does not "bundle"...in my opinion.

Makes sense to me!

BTW: their customer service peeps are HUMAN "BOTS". Don't trust what they say....NEXT..."Soylent Green Crackers"....?

I have the same experience. Been with Geico for years and they kept raising my rates.

I left for a year. There next time, they gave me a much better rate. But they kept raising the rates again every 6 months for 20-30%.

I left again. Would it cause then less to keep the same customers instead playing The bait and switch game?!?!?!?

Geico sucks. My policy has been 669 for three cars since I started.

Now it’s going up to 950.

And there’s been no accidents or violations or tickets and all they can say is underwriters evaluate based on driving etc. like ok.

Been a geico costumer for almost 10 years. For the last 3 years, they have continued to raise my rates.

In April of this year, I dented by tailgate which cost Geico $400 after my $500 deductible. Now, they raised by monthly by $50!!!! When I asked why they thought it was good business to raise my rate that much, they said I was now a risk!!! really!!!

a risk for a dented tailgate after years of no accidents!!! In what world is that appropriate action for a loyal customer.

Just no way I could stay with them after this. Unbelievable!!!Type your message here

You're very naive if you think external factors other than your own don't effect insurance premiums. As claim costs escalate due to increasing repair costs and changes in construction of vehicles such as bumpers filled with technology and rampant cell phone use don't effect everyone's premiums you should take a class in economics.

SUE GEICO NOW. MANY PEOPLE HAVE SUED GEICO AND WON.

THEY ALWAYS SETTLE BECAUSE RHEY GET CAUGHT STEALING DAILY AND ILLEGALLY RAISE PREMUIMS ON PERFECT DRIVERS.

WE HAVE HIRED THE MEANEST SMARTEST LITIGATOR TO SQUEEZE THESE {{Redacted}} MORONS FOR BILLIONS. {{Redacted}}

to FUCKyouGEICO #1569738

Who, what’s the name of the litigator?

to FUCKyouGEICO #1620258

DANG RIGHT. IF WE ALL TOOK ONE DAY TO FIGHT INSURANCE CHEAT COMPANIES BY CHECKING OTHER OFFERINGS AND RATES, AND THEN CANCELING THE "SCREW THE GOOD CUSTOMER COMPANY BY CANCELING GEICO & SWITCHING, COMPANIES, those (lying - *** companies might be forced to charge us based on personal history vs.

their bottom line. The BIG Auto companies & airlines were bailed out.

If they can't manage better, just fold! Our system is broken, in my opinion.

Same. exact.

thing. Infuriating.

From what I have heard if you call and tell them you are cancelling your policy, all of a sudden they might be able to find a discount for you to stay. We have had 3-4 car on a policy for over 6 years and have not bought any new cars.

No accidents etc and our policy has went up.

A few people have called and said they are cancelling to switch to cheaper or another company and geico will say o wait we found a special discount. Good luck

to jacob #1535307

This wasn't my experience. I just called.

My insurance was $800/6mo in 2012 when I financed my car. Now that my car is 6 years older (and completely paid for), my insurance is $896; no accidents on my record ever. Called and found out it increased $85 since my defensive driver discount expired. If I retake the course, my rate will go down to $811.

That means my rates have only really increased $11 a cycle. I assumed that my insurance would go down considerably once my car was paid off but that hasn't happened. I told Geico I'd likely drop before my new rate goes into effect in a week and they made absolutely no attempt to find further discounts or do anything to keep me as a customer.

I suppose I already have all the discounts they offer. Btw, I live in NYC.

Can someone list the company you found that offered you lower rates and a better package?

I pay every 6 months. I started with them 2 years ago next month and my policy went up $110 in 2 years!!

On vehicles that are 10 years old. They said due to medical insurance payouts the cost of everything is increasing. This is the same thing they told me 6 months ago when my policy went up $40. Never had a ticket or accident in my life 35 years old.

Unfortunately i live in this *** state called California and am ONLY here because husband is active duty. These ppl are criminals by sucking you in with good rates and raising them immediately.

Funny thing is i went on their website put in fake names and they are quoting me $391 for 6 months but want me to currently pay $755 every 6 months. Un *** believable!!

When I started with Geico 3 years ago, it was $90/month. Then it was $100...then $115....then $130...I called them and got the whole “cost of business/my Versa was a ‘high risk vehicle’ (please)”.

This next policy cycle, they wanted $220/month. Now I did get a single ticket, but never lost my good driver discount. I didn’t even call to fight it. I found another insurer, and I’m paying $117/month now.

Not only that, they let me lock it in for a full year. Geico is a joke.

CharmingCassowary

Geico has been raising my rates as well and I've had enough of them. Goodbye!

So, this happened to me today. I have been with Geico for 11 years.

I was paying 91.10 then I get my email for my June 2018 payment and it is 142.11. Again, I have not had any accidents or violations. I emailed the company thinking that because I have been a safe driver and good customer that I would be able to keep my rate. That is a big fat no.

It is really disappointing, so I am taking my business elsewhere.

I got a quote for even better coverage with TN Farm Bureau and making the move and saving more money too. Glad that Geico tried to put the screws to me and I am switching and saving money!