21.2K views

I had Geico auto insurance for several years. I always paid on time if not early, and had not one claim with them. Throughout the years, they would raise my premium little by little, but it was usually only a couple of dollars, so I never really worried about it. This last time, they jacked my premium up quite a bit. My premium started off at around $100 a month and is now at $110 before the new rate increase. With the new rate increase, it would be $126 a month. I called to find out why and was told that Geico re-evaluates each state from time to time and based on accidents and payout, premiums change.

So basically you get punished for other people's mistakes.

I asked Geico to keep my premium at what I was currently paying ($110) and they refused, saying it was illegal because they were regulated by the state, and that the new higher premium was the best rate they could offer me at the time. They wasted my time by going over all of my policy details and assured me that no one else would give me so much great coverage for a lower price. They also constantly reassured me that customer service was their number one priority.

I hung up and did quote comparisons with other insurance companies. I got quotes from two different agencies that matched my coverage and were significantly cheaper. I called Geico back and asked again why my premium was going up when I had done nothing to deserve it, and again, I got the same spiel. I informed the agent of my two different quotes, and said that I didn't even want him to match the significantly cheaper insurance rates, I only wanted to keep my premium at what I was already paying. They STILL refused. I asked to speak to a supervisor. She was not as polite, and interrupted me a lot. She kept going on and on about how customer satisfaction was very important to Geico, yet she refused to alter my premium in any way. I told her I would cancel my policy. She kept saying she would hate to see me go, but she still would not alter my policy.

I do not believe for one second that Geico is unable to match prices or lower policy premiums when requested. These companies thrive on customers, and with no price matching, there is little to no incentive to keep customers when a cheaper (and better) insurance company is competing for their business. If Geico really does function this way, it's pathetic, and extremely poor customer service.

I switched today and when I called to cancel, the agent made no attempt to try and keep my business, which other insurance companies have done in the past when I canceled them.

I'm glad I decided to switch to a better company with competitive rates instead of staying with a company with a "love it or leave it" attitude.

Product or Service Mentioned: Geico Auto Insurance.

Comments

I was paying about $100 when I got insurance with them. This was for a brand new car.

I've NEVER caused an accident, made a claim and have never had a point on my license.

3 years later my rate was $170.

I'm with a new insurance company now. It seems they bait you with a low rate then jack it up and hope you're too lazy to go elsewhere.

My Geico premium for my pilot went from $353.40 to $476.30! What insurance companies do you do all recommend?

Geico also just raised our rate by $20 per month giving the same bs excuse, on top of rate increases we’ve had over the last 2 years.

Geico also raised my premium After 6 months for no reason!!!! Time to shop around!

I'm having same problem. I been with them ever since I bought the car.

Like you guys, I never had an accident and a ticket.

But they keep raising my premiums every year. I'm also thinking to go to new company.

Your story is very familiar to me! I have been with GEICO (motorcycle) Insurance for going on 22 years.

I have never had a ticket nor an accident. I bought a new motorcycle 4 years ago, and the insurance rate on it has risen on average 16% annually since then.

Every year I get the same generic feedback - "All rates have gone up". I feel as though I am being penalized and GEICO wants me to obtain insurance elsewhere.

Same here, Geico raised my rate by $170 a month.

I called to ask why my monthly payment was $170 higher, they said that insurance rates went up.

I told them to cancel my policy and I went with Mercury, they actually do care about their customers.

Robbing Peter to pay Paul. Insurance goes up to pay for other idiots on the road.

Taxes go up to pay for government projects and of course paying for those people who choose not to work and pay taxes. The best thing to do is start a business of your own and write off your insurance as a business expense. That way you pay less taxes so you're able to get some money back. The more you write off the lower your tax bracket gets and the less tax you have to pay.

Geico does this as well. Every time they pay out a claim it's a business expense to them.

They write it off on their taxes. So the best thing you can do is write it off and focus on getting a Sweet ride like me.

Same here. Geico keeps raising our rates every 6 months and uses the same excuse.

Our credit is excellent, no accidents, no tickets, auto has very low mileage (like new), etc so these excuses get old fast. Looking for another company that can better than what we will have to pay Geico when our renewal goes into effect in a month.

How is your credit? If you have delinquencies, charge offs they will adjust rates based on the " driver risk due to stress." Just a little unknown!

I was just on the phone with them today reading the same script they did 2 years ago and a year ago. Rates keep going up and she told me about all the drivers that are texting while driving..What does that have to do with me?

in 13 years I had 1 claim. Why am I being punished for this?

Why is everyone being punished for this who is not responsible? Again, they read me the same script...do they realize if they keep raising their rates they won't be in business very long?

@PissedConsumer1371844

I am going through the same thing. Same answer.

I got tired of asking why my insurance keeps going up..every year..and it's like u stated we are paying for all the bad drivers out there...so it's dam if you do or don't file a claim your rates will increase no matter what. That's the bs with these companies..

To be honest, Geico customer service is pretty good, easy to reach, polite people. I don't know if I can find another company that is that good, if I switch.

So I suck up the increase thinking it is inflation. lol

@PissedConsumer1169440

You must be working for GEICO.

#1120027

I pay every 6 months. My premium has increased $13, $9, $17, $22.

That looks to me like an average of $15.

For what?

I wish I could stick around to see if they keep the increases around $15 or increase it as you stay with them longer, but I'll be moving to a state where they are not even close to competitive so I'll never know. Farewell gecko.

Same exact story. My premium went up.

Called Geico to negotiate (spoke to supervisor). Warned them I'm going to switch, was told we are I sorry to see you go.

Next day switched to different company and called Geico to cancel, the rep was ready to match premium just to keep me as a customer... too late.

Wow, the same thing happen to me today, the agent told me the same thing I felt like we both spoke to the same person or those agents have a script, I use to pay $70 per month now I have to pay $122 per month , I have clean driving records I have been their customer for 9 years never used my premiums never cause an accident. they offered me to take offensive driving classes to qualify for $22 discount, the catch is I have to pay $20 for the classes..funny basically I will be saving only $2. I believe I have to shop around for new carrier, it's so ridicules that I have to pay for someone else's way of driving.

@PissedConsumer1076337

Thats 22 times 6 billing cycles for 3 years, and I only payed 15 for the online course through geico. Savings is 22.61 times 6 =135.66 - 15.00= 120.66 savings over 3 years till you have to take course again. Its worth it.

#1120035
@PissedConsumer1076337

OFFENSIVE driving classes? Are you Mad Max, lol.

I know what you meant, but that's funny...

GEICO Reviews