Verified Reviewer

2.7

Geico will not renew my insurance policy due to RAT damage. which is out of my control.

Have been with them for over 5 years. Have several cars not being used because of covid.19. Only drive about 1 time/wk. Retired MD,, No accidents, driving (50+) years, No tickets for probably 10 years.

Credit score over 800. I took most of my cars off insurance because I wasn't driving them I had rat damage on a car that I was using about 4-5 months ago. At that time my Land Rover was under warranty. and the engine light when on, the problem was Rat damage, which wasn't covered under warranty, but the dealer told me it would be covered under my auto insurance, which it was.

I start my cars regularity about once per week.

Because of the extended time of the pandemic, I decided to rotate my cars, each time putting one on and one off insurance.... At one time I did have 4 or 5 cars insured with Geico. I ask Geico if alternating cars was a problem and they said no..

Here is their concern.. When I put on my 2017 Bentley Continental back on full coverage (which was off insurance for about 6 months), the following day I started the car I noticed the tire sensors were not working, and windshield wipers washer was leaking..

When I open the hood a rat was staring at me. I called Geico and put in a claim for rat damage, they came and took pictures and had the description of what the damage was.. After some hesitation about the claim they ask me if the damage occurred before or after the car was insured.. Being honest I told them it most likely occurred before it was insured.

At that time I realized if the car was not insured when the damage occurred it wouldn't be their responsibility and fully agreed with them. So I dropped the claim.. They even stated at that time they understood I was not trying to take advantage of them, I still had my deductible at 1000 dollars,, If I wanted to defraud them I would have put my deductible at 500 dollars and not have reported this for several months.. This was not the case at all..

They just can't tell decant good honest drives to find new insurance due to something out of their control like rat damage, no matter how much the cost, that is the cost of doing business..

.. If it to expensive for Geico to cover rat damage they should take rat damage out of their polices.. .

Yes I am angry and upset, like I don't have enough anxiety from trying to get Auto insurance from another insurance company at a fair price if at all, covid pandemic and the financial difficulties of our country.

One paid claim of about 800 dollars from rat damage and they will not renew my auto policy, never in an accident, no tickets in the past 10 years.Safe driver. Avoid Geico, can really mess you up.

Product or Service Mentioned: Geico Auto Insurance.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

GEICO Pros: No pros.